Thursday, November 16, 2006

American Football

No one growing up in the Smith household in the booming metropolis of Newmarket was a football fan. We were raised on hockey and baseball... occasionally we would hear about the Gray Cup, especially if the Argo's were involved. But that's about it.
Then fast forward a few decades and now I'm living in Alabama. Football capital of the South East. Nothing could have actually prepared me for this, except I'm sure I received some sort of training living with the McDowells while the Steelers made it to the Super Bowl.

So I guess you could say that over the years I have become a football fan, of sorts, mostly through association.
Here's who I've been taught to pull for:
NFL-
Tennessee Titans: what actually put the NFL on the Sunday afternoon TV in the Mitchell household. Aren't we kicking some major booty this season, um, not so much!

College-
Ohio State: Sumer and Jenny ensured I was full of Buckeye fever as soon as possible.
UT Volunteers: Can we say I lived in Nashville for almost 13 years? And shame on all of you who turned their back on them after last season's bowl game, or lack thereof... A fair-weathered fan is no fan at all!!
Alabama: I would put the Reeves family to shame if this wasn't mentioned, although Nate decided to go with Miami and he's still loved...
Vanderbilt: For my girl Dinah!
LSU: If they're not playing the above mentioned teams... for Jeremy of course!

So, this weekend is the battle of Alabama and for the first time in four years I will not be there during the Alabama-Auburn game. I love watching football fans watch football. Wish I was at Ashley & Jamin's to witness it all...
Brett has decided to cheer for Auburn this year, so naturally I decided to go with Alabama.
Roll Tide!!

8 comments:

Lerra said...

Y'all really need to pick an SEC team & stick with it. I think it's about time. Might I suggest the Georgia Bulldogs?

But for this weekend...I have to say ROLL TIDE in honor of my hubby. :-) Oh, and go Titans!!

Anonymous said...

I didnt realize you pulled for LSU

AnnaJane said...

AND HE GOES ALL...THE...WAY TOUCHDOWN TENNESSEE!!!!!

There is nothing like tailgate Weekend in Knoxville.

Rocky Top Yoy'll Always Be Home Sweet Home To Me Good Ole Rocky Top..Rocky Top Tennessee!!

dinah lou said...

Go Dores!! Let's start a streak of wins over UT! 2 years in a row would be nice. That's the other BIG game this weekend (for me, at least. Probably not a big one for UT fans)

Jen said...

Ummmm Weeze...the Buckeyes play Michigan this weekend just in case you needed to know so perhaps you could tune in for that one!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BUCKS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy B-Day Jude

Unknown said...

Happy Happy B'Day, Judy Judy! Hope you have a good one! Just remember to wear your touque if you go out to boo-gay (boogie)! (Yeah, I won't quit my day job to do stand-up comedy).
Love ya!

wright4god said...

Anyone who would cheer for Auburn, just shows their feeble intellectual acumine(?.) Brett, I am totally disgusted with you right now. After all I introduced you to the world of college footbal and the mecca which is THE University of Alabama. How quickly we forget and digress.