Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Easter Weekend

Brett is off in sunny Florida to sign a recruit, and I am sitting here in front of my laptop, where I've been the last few hours playing on the internet, and loving it. If he were home I would never have gotten away with it! (not to mention that if I had more memory on this thing I could do it all in about one third of the time...)
Easter this year was spent at the Biscuits game, selling concessions as part of a fund raiser for the soccer team's preseason trip to Canada. It was freezing, there were PLENTY of empty seats, no one was hungry for hotdogs after eating their Easter dinner with family, but hey... we won the game without going into extra innings! That put us home around 9:00 and pretty much into bed, after finding the eggs we hid for each other that morning. Ah, the sugar rush of a Cadbury creme egg this time of year! :)
So Easter was pretty non-traditional around the Mitchell home. No baskets. No dyed eggs. No special cookies. More of a reflective holiday for me. Searching for the things that I haven't surrendered to the power of the cross, and celebrating in the freedom of the resurrection. I wish Good Friday was revered more here, and regarded as an actual holiday. I hated getting up that morning to go to work. And quickly announced to anyone who would look at me upon my arrival that if we were in Canada we wouldn't have to be there. I'm sure after being subject to my sourness most of them wished that I would hurry up and go back up there... That mood was quickly remedied by the candy from the hospital-wide Easter egg hunt. :)
And of course, as with any holiday, memories of Easters past: finding my basket behind the living room curtain, getting a green Easter dress in my basket one year, going to church with Mom, teaching the kids at training for service day in Toronto, dying eggs with Susan & the kids, Brett and I surprising everyone at home Easter weekend and getting to hold little Coleton for the very first time, Mom & Susan in Yearwood for Honey baked ham, cooking Easter dinner for the International soccer players, and of course those Laura Secord creme eggs (my absolute favourite ,which, for some reason, remind me of Aunt Gladys.. she must of always shared them with us!)

3 comments:

Lerra said...

Just so you know, apparently there are lots of people who were off for Good Friday, because I took the day off and the traffic all day long was HORRIBLE! The only explanation I could come up with was that everyone was off work/out of school. Anyway, glad you had a good Easter!

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

woohoo! serve up some alchihaaalllll.

Lori said...

I was in teguc during holy week and let me tell you the WHOLE COUNTRY stops the entire week. I mean the whole country! NO BUSES, almost no taxis, not much open..it was amazingly wonderful!