Thursday, January 24, 2008

HealthSouth Makes Me Drink


Coffee. With cream. Lots of cream. French vanilla {is there any other kind?}
You would have thought the addiction would have happened lightyears ago. My whole life has primed me for this...
  • both Mom & Dad drink it every morning and I know just how to fix it for them - milk and half sugar, just milk, respectfully
  • raised where Tim Hortons is literally found on every street corner, but make mine a cafe mocha and bring on the whipped cream!
  • worked in a coffee shop learning all the tricks when I was in high school, and on my breaks home from college
  • lived with Mary Alice freshmen year at Lipscomb who introduced me to Bongo Java - 'nuff said!
  • was a pre-med major which included immunology, virology, a & p, not to mention ecology & genetics (ironically my favourite class)
  • took organic chemistry I & II the first year Boone started teaching it... can we say all nighters?
  • worked as an RA for three years in Fanning
  • worked as residence hall director in Yearwood {may she rest in peace} and Johnson for five years
  • worked for Scott McDowell - aka "Mr. Starbucks & I-take-mine-black-brew-me-four-more-pots" (wait, maybe I should say "favourite employee of instead of worked for?)
  • spent countless hours driving in a car sans sunlight between the TN-AL commutes and traveling across the border
  • went back to grad school and became a surrogate "mom" to an entourage of young whipper snappers! {love you guys! happy mother's day!}
So why the recent addiction to coffee after making it through numerous events necessitating serious caffeine jolts you ask?
HealthSouth... the only answer I can come up with! I blame the fact that it's free and there's a creamer machine with french vanilla.. supplying me with a cup of small liquid heaven if you will. And the fact that I need to get some sort of quick jump start to my day where I work with patients that have been up since before the sun. Gah.
Maybe it's not a coffee addiction afterall. I think I just prefer a little bit of coffee in my morning cream. Yeah... that must be it..

7 comments:

LeslieTummel said...

This makes me laugh really hard. Josh commented a few weeks ago, "Since when do you drink coffee every morning?" I blame work too...and my drive there. To use a little evidence to back up the habit...a recent study found that those who drink 1-2 cups of coffee every morning were far less likely to develop alzheimers and dementia later in life. So, why not imbibe? ;)

Lerra said...

Mmmm...cream. :-)

Mary Alice said...

i am embarrassed to tell you that the very SIGHT of the photo you posted had me salivating. it's not even 9 am and i have already had 3 cups. is that bad? is there rehab for this sort of thing???

can you come back to town so we can go back to bongo java again?

i love you!!

Karen said...

judging by the fact that you almost couldn't "do" coffee at my house b/c I was out of creamer...definite evidence that you have a new and very acceptable addiction!:)...and how did I now make the list...do you not remember all of the coffee sniffs that I freely allowed you all those years??...no one else's nose has ever come that close to my coffee cup...hehe!

memphis belle said...

being around anyone in the McDowell clan will drive anyone to drinking!!

Roxy Wishum said...

Thanks, Judy. It is almost bedtime and now I have to have a cup! Hold the cream and sugar.

Anonymous said...

I used to think that when I got to heaven, God would have unlimited diet coke. Now, I love coffee way more and feel that God will have an unlimited supply of Non-fat Pumpkin Spice lattes. Being in Washington, where the first Starbucks was and the fact that there is literally a coffee stand on every street corner, I love it. I made the mistake of telling my class that Miss Comfort + coffee= happy. So you can only imagine what I got for Christmas. HA!