Monday, April 07, 2008

Still learning...

The more patients I come in contact with the more I realize just how fine the line is between remaining optimistic and being realistic. How can you tell someone that there is a strong possibility that they may never walk again, or that there is really no way of knowing how much longer they may live...
The only thing I know for certain is that lately my patients are teaching me a great deal more than I could ever teach them.
And I still believe in miracles and in the One who performs them.

5 comments:

LeslieTummel said...

Working in long-term care I've learned a lot too. I still believe I'm going to change the world. It just may not be in the way I originally thought. :)

Karen said...

I am so glad YOU do what you do...God really knew where He could use you best! (Obviously, He is GOD!:))

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

i agree with karen! i can't say it any better!

Lerra said...

I don't work in the same field as you, and I'm pretty sure I never could, but I also struggle with finding the line between being honest & being encouraging! Knowing you, I'm sure you do a wonderful job. :-)

Roxy Wishum said...

Your post reminds me of Admiral Stockdale's writings about his time as a POW in Vietnam. He said the optimists did not survive because they could not face the reality of their situation. They kept promising themselves the improbable and were repeatedly disappointed until they gave up. Reality is tough, but realizing much later that you have been believing a fairy tale is tougher, don't you think?
Thank you for the new post!