Thursday, July 24, 2008

Never a dull moment!

Currently I have a stroke patient who is suffering from SEVERE left neglect {basically, her brain has difficulty processing everything to her left so she stands looking over her right shoulder and thinks her head is straight}. When I walk with her I have to give her a million cues to make her aware of what is in her left field of vision. We are walking around the corner of the centre offices, where a huge piece of cardio equipment is. On our left. So for all practical purposes, it doesn't exist in her world. She can't see it. Now, this equipment is in serious need of oil... it periodically begins squeaking with every movement of your legs, God love it. So we come around the corner while another patient is working on it, squeaking away:
My patient: "What is that? Am I hearing a flock of Canadian geese?"
Leigh Anne (who is in the parallel bars with her pt right beside us): "Nope, that's just your Canadian therapist!"

7 comments:

dinah lou said...

That's hilarious, Judy! I'm impressed with your co-worker's quick wit.

Roxy Wishum said...

Does the Canadian therapist squeak? Have you read "A Whole New Mind"? It is about using both sides of the brain and how society is changing to value "right-brained" people more. The struggles of the stroke victim reminded me of examples in the book.

AnnaJane said...

Here's one. Since I started my new job I am getting to know the patients. Well I went to get this one man about the age of 60. I open the door and call his name. He walks toward me and says, "I only work with good looking women." I quickly replied, "Well your in luck." He thought that was funny and then told everyone he passed on the way to the mat of the encounter.

Lerra said...

Classic.

Unknown said...

Funny!

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the kinetron!!

Lerra said...

Judy, where are you???? :-)