Monday, September 18, 2006

No excuses!

Have you ever heard a voice in the back of your head that whispers "I'd love to do that" whenever you hear/read/see someone else doing something? Maybe it's someone dancing on Broadway... Maybe it's someone who risks their safety net to follow their dream... Maybe it's someone who can pick up an instrument and play a song they just heard off a CD without so much as a sheet of music in front of them...
My moment happened at Lipscomb before school even began. All of the freshmen were being herded around the then intramural field, now soccer field, playing crazy games on a hot muggy Saturday night. I spent some time talking with an upperclassman, Keith Berry, about the summer he had just spent in Africa doing mission work. Wow, I thought, I would love to do that. And after going on my first mission trip that spring break, switching my major to pre-med and aspiring to save the world, and becoming a part of the Torch Missions team, the rest as they say is history.
I say all of that to say this... if you've heard stories about people going to New Orleans to help in the wake of hurricane Katrina and thought "I would love to do that", stop coming up with excuses because this is your opportunity to do it. Tell the devil to stop telling you "whatever he's convincing you is more important insert here". One of my dear friends has this plea for help on his blogspot. Read it and see what the voice in the back of your head is telling you...

The following has been republished without permission: (I'm sure he won't mind!)
851 Houses
This was a productive week. God has revealed his awesomeness again, hurdles to serving the elderly and disabled in Louisiana's St. Bernard Parish were laid down as though God himself were standing before us. (He was). The opportunity to finish 851 homes for the elderly and handicapped was laid before us. Who are we you ask? Warriors that will finish the job. When I ask myself WWJD, I must respond in passion and love for those who cannot do for themselves. God put me here to defend the cause of the poor and needy. I cannot change my course because it is not my course. It is the course that was laid out for me. I am not saying it's yours, although we could use your help.Our goal is this. We have 851 homes to demuck. It takes 12-15 people to do a house in a day. We want to finish by Jan 31st., therefore we need to finish seven houses a day for the next 120 days, that's 106 people a day, that are willing to work hard. Got It?I am appealing to all who hear the shout and the desperation of this message. This task is achievable. We have enough space to comfortably keep 1000 volunteers a day. We have hot showers, hot meals, and Air conditioned rooms with cots and beds. We have the houses and the homeowners ready to be helped. Here is the call will you answer it?The work is hard but rewarding. You will leave tired but fulfilled. Show this letter to your boss and organize a company service project. Bring enough people for a team or two or three. We have everything here to do the job except you. Even if you can only come for a couple of days, we'll take it.We are fighting the good fight. But we need armies of hands to do the work. We will leave the light on so you can find us in Chalmette, La. Or you can call me @ 985-631-8540 and I will gladly address your questions or you can register on the Hilltop Rescue website @ hilltoprescue.org for some scheduled work camps. Feel free to e-mail me @
Waywalker@msn.com .

1 comment:

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

very cool. I think thats so cool how you just up and did that. when God calls, he really calls! i think we just all have to listen.