Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Why I do it....

Yesterday one my patients got to go home. He wasn't there for PT rehab per say - more of the memory/speech/occupational therapy more so than me and what I could do to help him. He was my "uncharacteristic" patient. Didn't walk with a walker or cane. Didn't need to be supervised so closely as he always caught himself whenever his centre of gravity was off kilter. Didn't fall. Didn't need constant reminders of how to transfer safely. Didn't need me to roll beside him on a stool and guide his legs through the process of walking. We played catch and bounced balls while we walked. We stood on foam with our eyes closed. We did exercises on the theraball. We did a lot of balance stuff I don't normally get to do with my patients. And he was game with whatever I suggested. A really sweet man. And yesterday when we were walking one last time together and I asked him if there was anything he wanted to make sure he did before his daughter came to take him home, and secretly hoping he didn't say "swim in the pool", he stopped, took my hand, and said "I really appreciate all that you've done to help me. I enjoyed being here and I couldn't have done it without your support." And as the smile on my heart grew into an enormous grin I thought to myself, "This is why I do it..."
Today I was looking after a patient for another therapist while she was out of town, and walked into a very sticky situation which I had no idea about considering I had never treated this man during his length of stay in the hospital. He had decided he was going home as soon as the doctor would write the orders and refused to come down to the gym for therapy of any kind. After talking with the social worker I went down to his room to suggest some outpatient physical therapy places for him, so he could continue treatment. As I left the room I ran into his wife in the hallway, who was coming in from her car with an empty suitcase to pack. She was noticeably upset so I stopped to talk with her and reassure her, and to verify that she indeed had a support system in bringing her husband home to look after while she tried to hold a full time job. And after talking with her, I hugged her and walked back to the gym with tears in my eyes and thought to myself, "This is why I do it..."
Thank you Lord for all of my patients... May I never consider it a job to serve you in the capacity of being a therapist, but an opportunity to serve others who need help from the skills & knowledge I've acquired, and in turn glorify You...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moments like that just make is so worthwhile. I love it! Glad work is going well for you - Finally!

Lerra said...

I wish I had moments like that at my work. I'm so glad you're enjoying your job!!

Jamey said...

Talk about tears in your eyes! I'm glad you're being fullfilled in your work.

Baron said...

Way to go Judy!

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

awe. what a blessing. how incredible. and what patience it must also take at other times. bless your sweet canadian/german heart.

Anonymous said...

Thats a great story Jude... That makes me remember a few patients. Dont really get many moments like that in OP. How's AL?

Unknown said...

Yeah, not many emotional moments in outpatient PT, but it is still a great job when you can feel you actually helped someone in some way. Hope it makes all the hard work of school worth it too. Keep up the great work, Dr. Mitchell.

Lerra said...

Ok, so this has nothing to do with your last post, but THANK YOU so much for letting us borrow the Blazer!! We found out today that the Maxima is, in fact, deceased. We will have more information about the ceremony at a later date. :-) Anyway, y'all are lifesavers. THANK YOU!!!

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

girlfriend I know youre gonna post TODAY. you have such fun things to post on. SO GET TO IT!!!