Friday, May 11, 2007

My Mom


This weekend is very special. Not only is it Mother's Day on Sunday, but it is also my Mom's birthday on Saturday. And I'll be down here in AL celebrating her while she's at the zoo with my sister, niece and nephew. {Brett and I are probably going to grill pork chops for dinner Mom. What do you want to go with it?}
I have been blessed with a great Mom. We like to tease her about her middle name, and how she's ends up looking grumpy in photographs (except for that picture above of course). But she has supported me when she didn't always agree with my decisions, loved me during those ugly phases, and has been one of our biggest supporters of our efforts in Honduras {so much so that I am still secretly hoping that one day I will be flying into Teguce and she will be sitting in the seat beside me}. But if I had only one word to describe my Mom it would be selflessness. And, not surprisingly, it seems to be a characteristic that continues to draw me to certain people, and away from others. My Mom gives so much of her time, talents, and love away and never expects anything in return. I don't know of a better example of Christ than that. And I just know that a lot of who she is came from her Mom, my Grandma Muriel, who received her eternal reward before I was part of the family. I can't wait to meet her one day.
So, Happy Mother's Day to not only my Mom, but also to the other women in my family who helped raise me into the Judy Louise I am today: all 3 of my Grandmothers, Aunt Gladys, Aunt Althea, Aunt Coral, Aunt Erma, and Aunt Jeannette. And to the other Moms who adopted me along the way: Susan, Mrs. Dahmer, Mrs. Nesbitt, Mrs. Bierworth, Mrs. Keough, Janet Mashinter, Tracey Mashinter, Debbie Chen, Margaret, Miss Jeni, Miss Sharon, Mama Nomi, Miss Eileen, Mama Pigg... and countless others.
Happy Mother's Day!!

2 comments:

Karen said...

What an absolute treasure to say that your mom is so selfless...I so pray that Ems will say that about "her mommy" someday! That must be where you get it...Thanks Mum Karen for raising my best and sweetest and dearest friend in the whole world!!!!!

Lerra said...

Well, after reading how you describe your mother, I have come to two realizations: 1) I now know where you get your selflessness, and 2) I know why you are with Brett. Y'all (yes, I just said "y'all" on a Canadian blog) are one of the most generous couples I know, and I guess we can all thank your mother for your half of that equation! :-)