Friday, June 29, 2007

Honduras-bound

I have been reading through my journals from last year's trips to Honduras before going again. Satan is doing his best to keep Brett and I busy distracted with life issues before we leave tomorrow morning. I admit I have not spent the time preparing myself for being down there, and will hit the ground running on nearly empty. But I know that God will give me the strength that I need in proportion to the tasks He has already prepared for me to do. And in a matter of hours I will be back to a place that my heart considers a home. We will head to Atlanta tonight after dinner and fly out in the morning, returning again July 11. Certainly any prayers offered on what God will accomplish through this trip would be greatly appreciated. To follow along with what we are doing and how you may communicate with us while we are away, click here
Here are some of my live-in-and-embrace moments of the July '06 trip:
the example of a mother's love in the Comayaqua clinic
the service of a PT to a group of special needs orphans
the brave heart of a little girl playing with a tube tucked gently between her fingers that carries chemo drugs
a little girl tearing down the mountain side when she realizes you are standing at the bottom of it
joy in the eyes of a friend with a dream being lived out day by day
spending time with those you love & tried to invest in
realizing that the floor you are painting will be underneath feet of countless patients, some of whom you may have the opportunity to serve
the aid of a child who expects nothing more than to simply be part of the group
letters from children who have stolen your heart after spending an afternoon playing with them
jolly rancher kisses from someone who is young enough to never know anything different than the life he is currently living
dimples in the smile of a 15 year old who will occasionally drop his guard when he thinks you're not looking
This trip isn't about me Lord, it's about you. And I pray that even though I will mess up, You will work through me. And give me eyes of love so that I may see others as You see them.

4 comments:

Roxy Wishum said...

Thank you for your loving heart and for giving your time, effort, and emotional energy to others. I know God will bless that gift in the lives of the people you meet in Honduras and in your lives as you become even more caring and able to see more clearly what is important in life. May God bless your travel and your interactions. I leave for a less altruistic trip the day you return so I look forward to hearing stories in a few weeks. We will be following your updates and praying while you are there. Take lots of pictures!

Karen said...

all I got to say is...HONDURAS=WOOT! WOOT! Seriously, I am going to try and get in touch with you today before you leave and I will of course be praying like crazy for you guys and your whole group. LOVE YOU, LOVE YOU, LOVE YOU!!!!!!!

Lerra said...

God will definitely bless you, the other workers, and all of the lives you touch while you're there. We'll be praying for your safe travel & your efforts down there. I am so blessed to have friends like you & Brett who are so willing to serve!

We will miss Y'ALL!!

dinah lou said...

I'm so excited for you and Brett!!! But I'm also saddened because i won't get to share your service to the Lord this year. I'll keep you and all of the others going this year in my prayers. And next year, Lord willing, I'll be back! Love you!